Parks and Recreation
Sign Up for Winter Recreation
The recreation coordinator organizes and operates all recreational activities in the city of Chamberlain.
For reminders, notifications, and updates, follow us on Facebook!
Chamberlain Community Center
112 N Main Street
Chamberlain, South Dakota
City Pool – Closed For The Season!
City Pool – Hours, lessons, passes
600 S Main Street
Open 7 days a week (Starting in late May)
Starting in June:
Swim Lessons: 9:30 to 11:15 am
Open Swim: 1 pm to 5 pm
– 5 pm to 6 pm M-W-F
– Noon to 1 pm T-Th
Open Swim: 6 pm to 8:30 pm
Saturday: Open Swim: 1 pm to 7 pm
Sunday: Open Swim: 1 pm to 6 pm
Swim Lesson Criteria
The Learn-to-Swim program focuses on building skills one step at a time. By giving kids the opportunity to master one element before moving on to the next, our youth swim classes make it easy to build confidence in the water.
During their swim lessons, children will spend time on the following five levels:
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills – Students will learn how to feel comfortable in the water and safely enjoy it.
- Level 2: Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills – Children will learn basic swimming skills.
- Level 3: Stroke Development – Additional guided practice will help students improve their skills.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement – Kids will gain confidence during swim lessons, improve their stroke and gain additional aquatic skills.
- Level 5 – Stroke Refinement: Guidance allows kids to refine their strokes and become more efficient swimmers.
Renting a Facility
The swimming pool, fishing pier and numerous picnic shelters can be reserved for events like weddings, birthday parties, family reunions and company picnics. Contact the Recreation Office for details and to make a reservation.
- For the American Creek Day Use Area, contact the American Creek Campground at 605-234-5151
Chamberlain City Parks
Staff: Chris Schwartz
The parks superintendent oversees the management and maintenance of all city parks and cemetery.
Parks are a great way to enjoy Chamberlain’s beautiful scenery, especially the trail leading to Roam Free Park overlooking the community. Walk or bike over one and a half miles of path starting at Barger Park along north Main Street past St. Joseph’s Indian School to the hills of Roam Free Park. The 360-degree view is breathtaking.
The City maintains 10 properties in Chamberlain:
- Barger Park
- Avenue of Flags
- Centennial Park
- Girl Scout Park
- Swimming Pool Park
- Greig Baseball Field
- Explorers Complex (two softball fields, one baseball field, one soccer field and a playground)
- Saukerson T-ball field
- Schoenhard Ball field
- Riverview Cemetery